FRANCIS L. CARTER, Esq. – Miami Mediator
Francis Carter, a full time professional mediator and settlement counselor, has served as a mediator in hundreds of bankruptcy and civil business cases, involving avoidance claims (voidable preferences, fraudulent transfers, and Ponzi scheme clawbacks from net winners), claims objections, foreclosures, deficiency claims, guaranties, contract disputes, and fee disputes, as well as civil cases involving directors and officers liability, partners’ disputes, business dissolutions, attorney malpractice, accounting malpractice, construction defects, aviation, landlord tenant, brokers’ commissions, tax,international business, and other commercial and financial legal issues.
Mr. Carter is also a settlement counselor, serving as an advocate or consultant to assist other counsel in formulating settlement strategy and conducting settlement negotiations, as well as assisting in preparing for and conducting mediation negotiations before other mediators.
Mr. Carter is a Fellow of the American College of Bankruptcy and has been listed in The Best Lawyers in America under Bankruptcy and Debtor-Creditor Rights Law since 1991. The 2011 Edition of Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business ranks Mr. Carter as a Senior Statesman, and further describes him as, “immensely experienced … one of the Dean’s of Florida’s bankruptcy bar … strategically excellent and … renowned as one of the state’s finest mediators.” He is also listed as a Top Lawyer in the South Florida Legal Guide and in Florida Trend’s Legal Elite, and is one of a handful of south Florida lawyers recognized by the Florida edition of Super Lawyers as a mediator in its Alternative Dispute Resolution category.
A graduate of the University of Pennsylvania and the University of Virginia law School, Mr. Carter is a member of the American Bar Association, The Florida Bar (former Chair, Business Law Section, Bankruptcy/UCC Committee), The District of Columbia Bar, the State Bar of Georgia and The Bankruptcy Bar Association of the Southern District of Florida. He also served as a Captain in the U.S. Army.
Mr. Carter is a frequent speaker to real estate, financial, business and legal groups. Having represented both borrowers and lenders, he understands the essential needs and perspectives of all stakeholders in a distressed project or business enterprise and is uniquely qualified to provide clients with practical as well as legal advice on how to maximize value in a challenging financial and market environment.
- Florida, 1975
- District of Columbia, 1972
- Georgia, 1970
- University of Virginia School of Law, 1970, J.D.
- University of Pennsylvania, 1967, B.A.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- The Bankruptcy Bar Association of the Southern District of Florida
- American Bar Institute
- American Bar Association (Member: Litigation, Business Law, Commercial Financial Services, Business Bankruptcy, and Creditors’ Rights Litigation committees)
- The Florida Bar (Past Chairman: Bankruptcy/UCC Committee, 1985-1986; and Member: Corporation, Banking and Business Law Section)
- The District of Columbia Bar
- State Bar of Georgia
Awards and Recognition
- AV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Ranked as a Senior Statesman for Florida Bankruptcy in Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business
- Listed in Florida Trend’s Legal Elite, 2007
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America since 1991 Ranked as one of South Florida’s top lawyers by the South Florida Legal Guide
- Fellow, American College of Bankruptcy
- October 22-23, 2015 – Participated as a facilitator on one of the plenary session discussion “Negotiating in the Caucus Stage” by Dispute Resolution Section of the American Bar Association held its 13th Annual Mediation and Advocacy Skills Institute in Atlanta.